Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Pedometer

Many of you may not realize this, but I really like Rice Krispies, made by the good people at Kellogg. This evening, while I was pouring myself a bowl of Krispie goodness, out of the box fell a plastic-wrapped digital pedometer (we have come a long way from secret decoder rings). Along with the pedometer there was the instruction sheet that I have included for you below.

I think that instructions 1-6 are pretty good pointers on the use and opperation of . However, I do think "instruction" 7 is a little odd: "The battery is not replaceable or rechargeable." I must say that if you are going to make something digital, replaceable or rechargeable batteries does not seem like too much to ask for, but I suppose it was free...

"Instructions" 8 and 9 were the ones that really caught me off guard:

"8. Participants take part in exercise at their own risk"
"9. Kellogg's will not be held responsible for any illness or injury that is incurred while using the pedometer"

I know there are some that accuse the populous of the United States of being too litigious, but come on, this is just ridiculous... "Really? I exercise at my own risk?" I almost wonder if the lawyers wrote this line to give people ideas on what they could in fact sue Kellogg for.

As for "instruction" number 9, I understand that if I break my arm while using the pedometer Kellogg does not wish to be held responsible. However, what if the non-replaceable, non-rechargeable battery inside the pedometer blows up on me. I think, in this case, Kellogg should be held responsible for my injury -- no matter what a little piece of white paper says.

Thus, I call "instructions" 8 and 9 bunk. And, sadly, instruction number 4 is probably necessary for many people to figure out how to make their pedometer work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just managed to get caught-up on your "blogs" (or, my preferred . . . "e-logs"). So, among my New Year's Resolutions is to keep-up on your thoughts and musings . . . so much useful (and otherwise) info! Thanks again for the great time in San Diego and Palm Desert and Springs. (Or is that Desert Springs? or Dessert Springs? I'm still thinking about that Banana Cream Cheesecake I didn't get to try.)